After more than 30 years working in some of Maine’s largest real estate agencies, Charles “Kim” Coit founded The Center for Real Estate Studies in September 2012, now known as the Center for Real Estate Studies. In 2017, he was joined by Attorney Tom Coward (30+ years) and Broker Charlene Hamiwka (10+ years), and others, to grow the school and expand course offerings.
We know that you have choices about where to take your pre-licensing and continuing education courses. So why should you choose us? How are we different?
• We don’t just offer approved courses. We believe many people who consider real estate as a career need help deciding whether to take the plunge and sign up for the course. To help them, we offer career counseling and make every effort to help our students decide whether a career in real estate is for them.
• Kim has been teaching real estate for over 35 years. He saw that there were NO good text books on the practice of real estate in Maine. All the real estate text books were generic texts written for a national audience. Students in Maine want to know what the law is in Maine and don’t want to live with the uncertainty of “what might be true in some states”.
Kim has written three text books, an Exam Preparation Study Guide, and a book of 500 Case Studies – all specifically about Maine. Here is a description of the books:
- Introduction to a Successful Career in Maine Real Estate, used in our Sales Agent Courses. This book has been so successful that other real estate schools use our content as part of their sales agent course.
- Exam Prep Book focuses students’ attention on terminology with flash cards and 300 practice questions similar to those found on the Pearson VUE state exam. We use this in the Exam Prep course.
- Maine Real Estate Practice is used in the Associate Broker Class and like the Intro book above, is written specifically for Maine students.
- Case Studies in Real Estate, a book of 500 case studies and answers which we use in our Associate Broker Course. We believe students learn and remember more from stories and cases. These cases have been edited and approved by the Maine Real Estate Commission. No other school has this book.
- Running a Successful Maine Real Estate Company is the text for our Designated Broker Course. Again, this book has been so successful that other real estate companies have licensed its use for their DB course.
• Not only do all our instructors have advanced degrees, they also have extensive Business and Real Estate experience. So much of what we need to know in real estate is base in the laws of agency, contracts, property, land use, finance. We feel it is important to have instructors who are skilled in all areas of real estate practice and can provide the best level of information to you on an academic as well as a best practices/professional level.
• We believe in the Case Study approach to teaching. Most people learn best from stories; they are easy to relate to and easy to remember. For that reason, we have developed a book of Case Studies which we use in all of our courses but particularly in the Associate Broker Course. This exclusive to our company and something we will never share with others.
• When you enroll in one of our classes, you have access to an experienced instructor who is a available to answer any questions you have as you study the materials. Call them up or email them for personal consultation and discussion of any issue. We want to be engaged with our students.
So, when starting your real estate career, why should you decide to work with us? Because everything we do is “dedicated to your success”. Before you sign up for a course, before you spend time and money, we want you to do your “due diligence”, your research into our business to see if it is a good fit for you. We provide you with a free book, a free list of interview questions, a free spreadsheet to project your income and expenses and a free career counseling session. Once you sign up for the courses, you have access to our instructors with any questions you have about content or process. Once you complete the courses and get started in your career we have the courses and continuing education to keep you sharp and on top of your profession.
We love our students, we love to talk with them, to share their successes and challenges; and we are dedicated to your success!
Thank you for considering us as your real estate school of choice.